Thursday, September 05, 2013

La Isla Bonita

steve_marta_canvas_2013sep5

My DH and I recently visited some friends who live in Belize. We spent a week on Ambergris Caye, an island about 12 miles off the coast of Belize. The town is San Pedro and is the very San Pedro Madonna sings about in her song ‘La Isla Bonita’ (The Beautiful Island). Hence my post title :) It is indeed La Isla Bonita—we had a fabulous time and totally plan to go back. We had a great mix of relaxation and adventure and we thoroughly enjoyed the Belize way – slow and easy, even more appreciated since I’m back to my normal fast and hectic :)

I made this mixed media canvas to take to them and I hope they’ll find it worthy of hanging on a wall. I started with an 8” x 8” stretched canvas, colored the background with Gelatos and swiped on some gesso. The “sun” was done with MPD Concentric Circles stencil and modeling paste then brushed with Gelato color. I lightly stamped the hexagon image from MPD Distressed Background Blocks and the text from MPD collage Backgrounds and hand drew the birds. The palm tree was made with Die-namics Palm Tree, the sentiment is from Inspired by the Beach, stamped on a Die-namics Layered Label die cut, popped up on foam and perfectly describes our time there.  I added a Die-namics Hibiscus and a couple Die-namics Pretty Posies, along with a Die-namics Leafy Flourish in the lower right corner. A few sequins finished it off.

Thanks so much for stopping by!










~Supplies~
Stamps:
Inspired by the Beach, MPD Distressed Background Blocks, MPD Collage Backgrounds (MFT)
Paper:
Kraft card stock, Sweet Tooth card stock, Lemon Drop card stock, Orange Fizz card stock, Tangy Orange card stock (MFT); Kiwi Kiss (SU!)
Ink:
Hot Fudge ink (MFT); Vintage Photo Distress Ink (Ranger)
Accessories/tools: Vagabond;
Die-namics Palm Tree, Die-namics Hibiscus, Die-namics Pretty Posies, Die-namics Leafy Flourish, Die-namics Layered Label, MPD Concentric Circles stencil, Lemon Drop button (MFT); foam tape, modeling paste, Gelatos, sequins, gesso


brownwendysignature

3 comments:

  1. Oh, Barbara!

    That is absolutely GORGEOUS!!! :) I really, really like it! And I'm so glad you had a great, relaxing time!

    Thank you for taking the time to share,

    Jennifer
    partridgelu at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my this is gorgeous, wow they will so hang it up what a beautiful gift

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is FANTASTIC, Bar! I hope they loved it! What a beautiful gift!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kind comments--they make my day and I appreciate every one!